Our goal with this episode is to help you prepare for a layoff, to know what to look for before it happens, to be ready for it, to leave your current role gracefully, and how to go about a post-layoff search.
Before the layoff:
- Follow your company news, and look for signs the company, or your group, isn't doing well. Listen for indicators like, "We're phasing out your product", or know if there is a scandal.
- Update your resume, start networking, think about what your "must have" list will be, and listen to Episodes 2,3, and 5.
After the layoff:
Immediately list out your questions, listen, take notes and follow up when you can do so calmly after you've reviewed your paperwork.
Go out quietly- don't company or group bash....take the high road (aka no flaming all company emails).
- Rest and take care of yourself. Give yourself grace.
- Keep yourself positive and surrounded by positive people.
- Did we mention to listen to Episode 2?
- If you need structure, structure out your day with search, play, rest and personal goal meeting. This is the time to do things you don't have time to do when you are working!
- Do something every day that brings you joy.
- Update everything (Linkedin, Twitter, resume....). Connect and re-connect and update people on where you are.
- BE HONEST about why you are looking. Short, sweet, positive and honest.
- Research every potential opportunity. There's no excuse not to be prepared for every call.
- Evaluate opportunities against your list, compare offers and make your decision quickly.